Woolacombe is a nice place to surf because of the lack of crowds. The waves vary a lot, according to the tides and the wind, sometimes it can be very blown out, as there is little protection from winds. Sometimes the rips can get very strong, especially when there is a rip going North it can get a little dangerous, and quite often the helicopter has been called out to collect surfers who have been washed up past the rocks more quickly than they can handle.
Parking in the winter is easy, in the summer the resort is packed and expensive.
Even at the height of summer it is possible to find quiet places in the surf.
The south end of the beach is called Putsborough and is protected from Southerly winds. Putsborough does get crowds when the wind is south-westerly.
Putsborough car park is owned by "rip-off joe" - somebody very rich (well they must be by now) and is too expensive so avoid going there.
If you park above the sand dunes from the Woolacombe it is either cheaper or free.
On the north side of Woolacombe you get to Mortehoe which is a cute hamlet with a nice pub.
If swell conditions are very big, there is a point break around the coast at Lynmouth which is a pretty north facing seaside town.
Food and DrinkThe Red Barn is a large public house which overlooks the beach and esplanade.
It serves food and drink with a good carvery on Sundays.
Avoid during the summer due to the crowds and children.
Self-catering apartmentsShort and long breaks
Hartland House, Esplanade
Telephone Nigel on 01271-870315
TIF: Tourist Information Office, WoolacombeTel: 01271-870553
Places to Stay - Guesthouses & Hotels
Headlands Hotel, Beach Road, Woolacombe
01271 870320, Singles £28, Doubles £56
on road going out of Woolacombe, near Mariscos
The Sands Hotel, 01271 870550
Crossways Hotel, The Seafront
01271 870395, Singles £22, Doubles £44 Triples £62.50
Dogs & Children welcome!
Caertref, Beach Road
01271 870361, 3 mins from beach
private car park, all rooms have colour TVs
Camberley, Beach Road
01271 870231, indoor heated swimming pool
Sunny Nook, Beach Road
01271 870964, Non-smoking
Combe Ridge Hotel, The Esplanade
01271 870321, on Comesgate beach front
Clyst House, Rockfield Road, Woolacombe
01271 870220, Singles £18, Doubles £36, Triples £36
only 3 bedrooms
Camping & Campsites Woolacoombe/Croyde/Braunton Area
1. Bay view Campsite Croyde
2. Cherry Tree Farm, Putsborough/Croyde
3. Mitchums Meadow, Croyde Bay
4. Ruda Holiday Park Croyde Bay, Croyde, DEVON, EX33 1NY Tel 01271-890671
5. Damage Barton Caravan Camping SiteMortehoe, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7EJ Tel 01271-8705026.
6. Mortehoe Park Twitchen House, Mortehoe Station Rd, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7ES Tel 01271-8704767.
7. North Morte Farm Caravan Park North Morte Farm, Mortehoe, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7EG Tel 01271-870381
8. Twitchen HouseCamp Shop, Mortehoe Caravan Park, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7ES Tel 01271-8706679.
9. Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parcs Sandy Lane, Cleavewood, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7AH Tel 01271-87034310.
10. Woolacombe Bay Holiday Village Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7AH Tel 01271-87022111.
11. Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park Station Rd, Woolacombe, DEVON, EX34 7AF Tel 01271-87056912.
12. Lobb Field Caravan & Camping Park Saunton Rd, Braunton, DEVON, EX33 1EB Tel 01271-81209013.
13. Putsborough Beach Shop Putsborough, Georgeham, Braunton, DEVON, EX33 1LB Tel 01271-89032714.
14. Putsborough Caravan Park Orchard House, Putsborough, Georgeham, Braunton, DEVON, EX33 1LBTel 01271-89023015.
14. Woolacombe Caravan Hirers Garden Cott, 27 East St, Braunton, DEVON, EX33 2EA Tel 01271-816580